Friday, July 24, 2009

Laws and Weeds

"Behind us, as we go, all things assume pleasing forms, as clouds do far off. not only things familiar and stale, but even the weed at the water-side, the old house, the foolish person, -- however neglected in the passing, -- have a grace in the past." (from Ralph Waldo Emerson's Spiritual Laws)

My father and I were discussing laws this morning. The definition of a scientific law is that it
generalizes a body of observation. I'd say the same is true of Emerson's Spiritual Laws.

And that explains why humans are drawn to observe and draw conclusions. Ma
ybe the calming feeling that comes from observing nature is an instinct that has developed in humans to point us to the richness of everyday life. Today's contribution from me is my latest collection of weed-by-the-water-side photos.

I like the idea that all things assume pleasing forms. I have always believed that, and so I can be distracted on occasion by anything, because it is all workable, all good, all a pleasing form.





No comments:

Post a Comment